Shamrock Open XXI – Planning Phase
The 21st annual Shamrock Open is now in the planning phase and starting to take shape! Thanks to all of the previous Brewers, Judges, Stewards and the Competition Teams, this annual event has been a recurring success. In preparation for the 2016 event, we are now canvassing for key positions and supporting functions. If interested, please contact:
Registrar - Steve Winter
AHA/BJCP Sanctioned Competition Program (SCP) Registered – http://www.bjcp.org/compcenter.php
Important Dates (preliminary)
- Entry Registration began January 25, 2016 … Shamrock Registration Site
- Entry Registration closes Saturday, February 20, 2016 at 5 PM Eastern Time.
- All Entries are due upon Registration Close at a Drop Off Location.
- Competition date is March 5, 2016 … No entry drop-offs the day of the competition.
Shamrock’s fearless Competition Leaders (left click on their name to send an email)
Competition Organizer - TBD
Judge Director -Clint Eaker
Cellarmaster – TBD
Steward Director – TBD
Registrar - Steve Winter
Raffle Director - TBD
- The 2008 BJCP Style Guidelines will be in effect for this competition. BJCP Style Guidelines
- Entries will be accepted in all Beer categories (Categories 1 – 23).
- Entries for Meads and Ciders (Categories 24-28) will not be accepted.
- Entries limited to four (4) per Registered Brewer
- Awards of 1st, 2nd and 3rd place, recognition will be by Category
- Sub-categories with < 5 entries may be condensed with categories of similar style
- Sub-categories with a large number of entries may be judged at that level
- Best of Show will be determined from the pool of 1st Place entries from all awarded categories
- Every effort will be made to have all entries judged by qualified participants in the Beer Judge Certification Program (BJCP).
How to Enter
All entries will be registered and paid for on the Shamrock Registration Webpage, click HERE Brewers are limited to four (4) entries. All entries must be entered on the Registration Site by Saturday February 20th in order to be eligible for judging. Register to Judge or Steward at the competition using the same site.
- Each entry will consist of two (2) bottles.
- Each bottle with have a completed Shamrock Competition Bottle ID form, attached with a rubber band.
- Entries must be received/dropped off at one of the locations listed below by 5PM on Saturday February 20th. No exceptions. Anything dropped off after 5PM on Saturday February 20th will not be eligible for judging. There will be no further pick-ups before the competition.
- Registered entries will be accepted at the CARBOY meeting on February 24th.
- There will be no out-of-town pickup this year. CBOY Homebrew clubs maybe be coordinating collection and delivery. Check with your local club.
- All entries must be received or dropped off at one of the approved locations, or brought to the CARBOY meeting Feb 24th.
- No entries will be accepted on the day of the competition.
- No-shows will not receive a refund.
Entries will be shipped to or dropped off at:
Shamrock Open c/o Atlantic Brew Supply
3709 Neil Street Raleigh, NC 27607
(919) 400-9087 atlanticbrewsupply.com
Alternate Location: Shamrock Open c/o American Brewmaster 3021-5 Stoneybrook Dr. Raleigh, NC 27604 (919) 850-0095 americanbrewmaster.com
Alternate Location: Shamrock Open c/o American Brewmaster 1008 Southwest Maynard Road Cary, NC 27511 (919) 289-4090 amercanbrewmaster.com
- $7 for each entry.
- Maximum of 4 entries per Brewer.
- All fees paid via the competition site PayPal link.
- Each bottle must be plain brown or green glass, 10 to 16 ounces in volume, crown capped and label as described below. Use of brown, long-neck, 12oz bottles is encouraged but not required.
- Bottles and caps must be free of anything which is sufficiently unique that could identify a Brewer to a Judge. This may include raised lettering, labels, unique bottle shapes or the like. Bottle caps should have any distinguishing marks completely blacked out.
- No swing-top bottles.
- Bottles not meeting these guidelines will be disqualified, and ineligible for award. Disqualified bottles may be judged at the discretion of the competition organizers.
- Reusable containers, including “Carbonator” type devices CAN NOT be returned.
Bottle Labels – Each bottle will require a ‘Shamrock Open Bottle Label‘ and can be printed from the Registration page (click on the ‘Print Labels’ button at the bottom of the page HERE, the form is populated from your entry data) … Or from the PDF Shamrock Open Bottle Label , open the form in Adobe to activate the editable fields… Attach the form to the bottle with a rubber band.
Please register to Judge or Steward online HERE. Judges are the single most important aspect of the competition. Assembling a solid cadre that brings descriptive palates, brewing expertise and the wisdom to tie the two together, provides the feedback needed to enhance a Brewers repertoire. Apprentice Judges are welcome and will be paired with experienced Judges.
- Judge and Steward experience points will be reported to the BJCP.
- Judges and stewards are expected to arrive in time for competition briefings at 8:30 am.
- Judging will begin at 9:00 am
- Judges and Stewards will be served bagels, coffee and juice for breakfast; Sandwiches, chips, salads, select local beers, and soft drinks for lunch; and various Snacks throughout the day.
- The ‘Judge Only Beer Raffle’ will provide the opportunity to take home some prized beers that have been picked up by CARBOY members in their travels.
North Hills Club 4824 Yadkin Drive, Raleigh, NC (919) 787-3655
From Interstate 440, take the Six Forks Rd exit Exit 8B. Going North on Six Forks (pass North Hills Mall on the left). Turn left on Northbrook Dr Turn right on Yadkin Dr. Map to North Hills Club
1st, 2nd & 3rd place beers in each category will receive a ribbon. 1st, 2nd & 3rd place Best of Show beers will receive a Best of Show ribbon.
Shamrock XIX Overview
To review the Shamrock Open XIX 2014 Results click here.
Please Patronize Our Sponsors
Carolina’s Brewer of the Year (CBOY)
This is the first competition in the series leading to the 2015 Carolina’s Brewer of the Year award. Contact the Shamrock organizers for more information or click here to view the CBoY rules.