Shamrock Open XX
The 20th annual Shamrock Open is only six months away, some of the winning beers are already conditioning. Start planning for your entries now. George is leading the charge again this year, who knows what he’ll dream up. While you’re here, scroll to the bottom of the page and scan through the terrific Sponsors that help make it all happen.
Shamrock XIX Overview
To review the Shamrock Open XIX 2014 Results click here.
March 8, 2014
Sanctioned Competition Program (SCP) Registered
Our fearless Competition leaders (left click on their name to send an email)
Competition Organizer - George Forte
Judge Director -Clint Eaker/Gary Morgan
Cellarmaster – Brian Sico
Steward Director – Keith Eisel
Registrar - Steve Winter
Raffle Director - Todd Wenzel
Entries will be accepted in all beer categories listed for the BJCP Style Guidelines (Categories 1-23).
Entries for Meads and Ciders (Categories 24-28) will not be accepted.
View the BJCP Style Guidelines
The 2008 BJCP Style Guidelines will be in effect for this competition.
- Registration begins January 27, 2014
- Registration closes Saturday, February 22, 2014 at 5 PM Eastern Time.
- Competition date is March 8, 2014
How to Enter
We require all entries to be completed Online, click HERE (same form is used for beer, Judge, and Steward registration). All entries must be entered by that date in order to be eligible for judging.
- Each entry should consist of two (2) bottles for each category entered. Each bottle with a completed bottle ID form attached by a rubber band.
- Entries must be received/dropped off at one of the locations listed below by 5PM on the date registration closes. No exceptions. Anything dropped off after that date and time will not be eligible for judging. There will be no further pick-up before the competition.
- Pre-registered entries will be accepted at the CARBOY meeting on preceding the competition.
- No-shows will not receive a refund.
- There will be no out-of-town pickup this year. All entries must be shipped, dropped off at the CARBOY meeting, dropped off at one of the approved locations.
- No entries will be accepted on the day of the competition. All entries must be received at one of the dropoff locations by the close of registration.
Entries should be shipped or dropped off at:
Atlantic Brew Supply
3709 Neil Street
Raleigh, NC 27607
c/o American Brewmaster
3021-5 Stoneybrook Dr.
Raleigh, NC 27604
$7 for each entry. Maximum of 4 entries per entrant. Please pay via the PayPal link when you register.
Each bottle must be plain glass, brown or green, 10 to 16 ounces in volume, and crown capped. Bottles and caps must be free of anything which is sufficiently unique that it could identify a brewer to a judge. This may include raised lettering, labels, unique bottle shapes or the like. No swing-top bottles. Bottle caps should have any distinguishing marks completely blacked out. (Use of brown, long-neck, 12 oz. bottles is encouraged but not required.) Bottles not meeting these guidelines will be disqualified, and ineligible for award. (They may be judged at the discretion of the competition organizers.) NOTE: Reusable containers, including “Carbonator” type devices CAN NOT be returned.
Please register to Judge or Steward online HERE.
Judging will begin at 9 am on the competition date.
Every effort will be made to have all entries judged by qualified participants in the Beer Judge Certification Program (BJCP).
- Apprentice judges are welcome and will be paired with experienced judges.
- Judges and stewards will be our guests for lunch.
- Judge and steward experience points will be reported to the BJCP.
- Judges and stewards are expected to arrive not later than 8:30 am.
- Some categories may be condensed with categories of similar style for determining 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners, at the organizers’ discretion.
- Conversely, categories in which a large number of entries are received in each of several sub-categories may be expanded to determine ribbon winners and Best of Show entries.
- Bagels, coffee and juice will be served for breakfast. Sandwiches, chips, salads, beer, and soft drinks will be available for lunch.
North Hills Club is off of Six Forks Rd exit from 440. North on Six Forks from 440 (past North Hills Mall). Turn left on Northbrook Dr then right on Yadkin Dr. Map to North Hills Club
4824 Yadkin Drive, Raleigh, NC (919) 787-3655
1st, 2nd & 3rd place beers in each category will receive a ribbon. 1st, 2nd & 3rd place
Best of Show beers will receive a Best of Show ribbon.
Please Patronize Our Sponsors
We would not be able to put on this competition without their support.
Carolina’s Brewer of the Year (CBOY)
This is the first competition in the series leading to the 2014 Carolina’s Brewer of the Year award. Contact the Shamrock organizers for more information or click here to view the CBoY rules.