Shamrock Open XXI – Winners Announced
The 21st annual Shamrock Open has run its course and is now history. Results are posted HERE
Congratulations to BOS Winner Russell Burnitt for his Flanders Red Ale
A hardy thanks to all of the Brewers, Judges, Stewards and the Competition Teams, that have made this annual event a recurring success, we look forward to your participation again next year … Questions, please contact:
Registrar - Steve Winter
AHA/BJCP Sanctioned Competition Program (SCP) Registered – http://www.bjcp.org/compcenter.php
The 2008 BJCP Style Guidelines will be in effect for this competition. BJCP Style Guidelines
Judges and Stewards … Use the registration site to sign up and reserve a spot.
- Entry Registration opened on Monday January 25, 2016 … Shamrock Registration Site
- Entry Registration will close on Saturday, February 20, 2016 at 5 PM Eastern Time
- All Entries must be at a Drop Off Location (see below) upon Registration Close
- Competition date is March 5, 2016 … No entry drop-offs the day of the competition (see previous point)
Shamrock XXI Team (left click on their name to send an email)
Organizer - Steve Winter
Judge Director -Clint Eaker
Cellarmaster – James Hopson
Steward Director – Keith Eisel
Registrar - Steve Winter
Raffle Director - Todd Wenzel
Operations Director – Justin Jaques
- The 2008 BJCP Style Guidelines will be in effect for this competition. BJCP Style Guidelines
- Entries will be accepted in all Beer categories (Categories 1 – 23)
- Entries for Meads and Ciders (Categories 24-28) will not be accepted
- Entries limited to four (4) per Registered Brewer
- Recognition of 1st, 2nd and 3rd place awarded by Category
- Sub-categories with < 5 entries may be condensed with sub-categories in the same category
- Sub-categories with a large number of entries may be judged independently
- Best of Show will be determined from the pool of 1st Place entries from all awarded categories
- Every effort will be made to have all entries judged by qualified participants in the Beer Judge Certification Program (BJCP)
How to Enter
All entries will be registered and paid for on the Shamrock Registration Webpage … click HERE
Brewers are limited to four (4) entries. All entries must be entered on the Registration Site by Saturday February 20th in order to be eligible for evaluation and consideration for award.
- $7 for each entry.
- Maximum of 4 entries per Brewer.
- All fees will be paid via the PayPal link on the competition registration site … You can pay via credit card without a PayPal account, instructions … Don’t do PayPal whatsoever? Find a friend with an account or enter your beers in one of the dozen’s of other BJCP/AHA events
Each entry will consist of two (2) bottles.
- Each bottle with have a completed Shamrock Competition Bottle ID form, attached with a rubber band.
- Entries must be received/dropped off at one of the locations listed below by 5PM on Saturday February 20th. No exceptions. Anything dropped off after 5PM on Saturday February 20th will not be eligible for judging. There will be no further pick-ups before the competition.
- There will not be a pickup at the February CARBOY meeting on February 24th (change from previous years).
- There will be no formal out-of-town pickup this year. SBA Homebrew clubs (some clubs formally part of CBOY) may be coordinating collection and delivery. Check with your local club and have them contact the Cellarmaster to streamline delivery.
- No entries will be accepted on the day of the competition.
- No-shows will not receive a refund.
Entries will be shipped to, or dropped off at, one of the following locations:Mark all packages on the shipping label “Shamrock Open c/o” Atlantic Brew Supply 3709 Neil Street Raleigh, NC 27607 (919) 400-9087 atlanticbrewsupply.com American Brewmaster 3021-5 Stoneybrook Dr. Raleigh, NC 27604 (919) 850-0095 americanbrewmaster.com American Brewmaster 1008 Southwest Maynard Road Cary, NC 27511 (919) 289-4090 amercanbrewmaster.com Drop Off Only:
- Each bottle must be plain brown or green glass, 10 to 16 ounces in volume, crown capped and label as described below. Use of brown, long-neck, 12oz bottles is encouraged but not required.
- Bottles and caps must be free of anything which is sufficiently unique that could identify a Brewer to a Judge. This may include raised lettering, labels, unique bottle shapes or the like. Bottle caps will have have any distinguishing marks completely blacked out.
- No swing-top bottles.
- Bottles not meeting these guidelines will be disqualified, and ineligible for award. Disqualified bottles may be judged at the discretion of the Organizer.
- Reusable containers, including “Carbonator” type devices CAN NOT be returned.
Bottle Labels – Each bottle will require a ‘Shamrock Open Bottle Label‘ and can be printed from the Registration page (click on the ‘Print Labels’ button at the bottom of the page HERE, the form is populated from your entry data) … Or from the PDF Shamrock Open Bottle Label, open the form in Adobe to activate the editable fields… Attach the form to the bottle with a rubber band.
Please register to Judge or Steward online HERE. Judges are the single most important aspect of the competition (after Brewers). Assembling a solid cadre that brings descriptive palates, brewing expertise and the wisdom to tie the two together, provides the feedback needed to enhance a Brewers repertoire. Apprentice Judges are welcome and will be paired with experienced Judges.
- Judge and Steward experience points will be reported to the BJCP.
- Judges and stewards are expected to arrive in time for competition briefings starting at 8:30 am.
- Judging will begin at 9:00 am
- Judges and Stewards will be served bagels, coffee and juice for breakfast; Sandwiches, chips, salads, select local beers, and soft drinks for lunch; and various Snacks throughout the day.
- The ‘Judge Only Beer Raffle’ will provide the opportunity for each Judge to take home some prized beers that have been picked up by CARBOY members in their travels around the globe.
- To balance the workload, some categories will be evaluated prior to the competition day. All pre-judged categories will comply with all competition guidelines.
North Hills Club 4824 Yadkin Drive, Raleigh, NC (919) 787-3655
From Interstate 440, take the Six Forks Rd exit Exit 8B. Going North on Six Forks (pass North Hills Mall on the left). Turn left on Northbrook Dr Turn right on Yadkin Dr. Map to North Hills Club
1st, 2nd & 3rd place beers in each category will receive a ribbon. 1st, 2nd & 3rd place Best of Show beers will receive a Best of Show ribbon.
Last year’s Shamrock XX Overview
To review the Shamrock Open XX 2015 Results click here.
Please Patronize Our Sponsors
We would not be able to put on this competition without their support.
Southeastern Homebrewers Association
(formerly Carolina’s Brewer of the Year (CBOY) and now geographically expanded)
Shamrock Open is a participating competition in the Southeastern Homebrewers Association 29016 circuit.
For more information visit the SHA Facebook Page … https://www.facebook.com/groups/541112192714779/
CBOY Previous Results